1. Provides the Body with FiberFarro benefits include the ability to provide the body with a steady source of fiber. In fact, just a half serving of farro has four times the amount of fiber as does a piece of white bread or serving of white rice. And, as you might have heard, fiber is so very important for your health! For example, the body utilizes fiber to prevent blood sugar dips and spikes, and to ensure that the digestive system runs smoothly. Farro benefits the body as an unprocessed grain. Along with fiber, it also contains protein and other nutrients that work to produce a feeling of satiety. The fiber in farro can help prevent constipation, diarrhea and other digestive issues.
2. Provides the Body with ProteinWhen it comes to protein, many people mistakenly think the only sources are animals. But the truth, of course, is that animals are not the only source of protein. Some of the more savvy individuals will know that beans and legumes are also great sources. And yet some may be surprised to learn that some grains contain a good amount of protein. Farro is one of those grains. Indeed, farro benefits include the ability to provide the body with plant-based protein. It contains, in fact, about the same amount of protein per serving as most beans and legumes. As a source of plant protein, farro may be especially beneficial for vegans and vegetarians who have cut meat proteins out of their diets. Paired with vegetables, farro is a complete plant-based source of protein.
3. Improves Heart Health and ImmunityFarro benefits include improved heart health and a strengthened immune system. It contains antioxidants and phenolic compounds that help protect the body from disease. Studies have shown that whole grains like farro offer protection from chronic diseases such as diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease. Farro benefits the immune system by lowering inflammation levels, regulating blood sugar levels and lowering cholesterol. (1) Farro makes an excellent replacement for refined grains or pieces of meat in several dishes. This is because it's a heart-healthy option that is both high in fiber as well as protein. Farro will add bulk to your favorite meals, and will help fill you up, all while improving the health of your heart!
4. Provides the Body with B VitaminsFarro benefits include the ability to provide the body with a steady source of B vitamins. This includes vitamin B3, or niacin, as well as B2 or riboflavin. B vitamins play a crucial role in brain health, neurotransmitter function, and central nervous system function. B2, or riboflavin, is important for development, reproductive capabilities, and the conversion of carbs. B2 also prevents acne, boosts immunity, and improves the digestion process. Additionally, the body uses Vitamin B3, or niacin, to maintain metabolic health and convert carbohydrates, fat, and protein into energy. (2) A niacin deficiency can lead to a wealth of unpleasant symptoms. For example, if you aren't getting enough niacin, or vitamin B3, you may experience the following:
- Memory loss and mental confusion
- Skin issues, such as acne
- Sore throat
- Redness and swelling on the sides of the mouth
- Cracks and sores on lips
- Inflammation and redness of the tongue