1. TeaTea works best with your natural hair color. It's not very strong, so you won't be able to turn your blonde hair brown. But black tea is perfect for going a little darker or covering grey hairs. Chamomile tea can be used on blonde hair, while rooibos can be used for red hair. Here's how:
- Use 3-5 tea bags in 2 cups of water.
- Either apply the cooled tea alone, or mix it with a conditioner.
- To cover grey hairs, mix in fresh or dried sage to help open hair follicles.
- Leave on for at least 1 hour or overnight for more color.
- Rinse with warm water.
2. CoffeeIf you're a coffee drinker, you probably already have some in your kitchen! If you want to go darker without all the chemicals, coffee is the perfect replacement for hair dye. Here's how:
- Make a strong organic coffee, espresso if you have it.
- Let it cool.
- Mix 2 cups of leave-in conditioner with 2 tablespoons of organic coffee grounds and 1 cup of cold-brewed coffee.
- Apply to your hair and leave it in for 1 hour.
- Rinse with apple cider vinegar to help it last longer.
3. Lemon JuiceLemon juice can be used to add natural highlights to your hair. Here's how:
- Spray lemon juice onto your hair and brush it through.
- Leave it on for several hours.
- Blondes can mix in chamomile to make it lighter.
- Repeat several times for highlights that last.
4. HerbsDepending on the color you want, you can use a variety of different herbs. For red hair, try calendula, marigold, rosehips and hibiscus to deepen the red or add highlights. For dark hair, use rosemary, nettle and sage. For blonde hair, try chamomile, calendula, marigold, saffron and sunflower petals. Here's how:
- Simmer the herbs in water for 30 minutes.
- Strain, cool, and pour over your hair.
- Brush through your hair and allow it to air-dry.
5. HennaYou may have heard of henna tattoos, but henna powder can also be used to dye your hair. When used alone, henna creates a red-orange color, so redheads and brunettes are the best candidates. To soften the orange tones, mix chamomile in with the paste. Here's how:
- Mix 1 cup of henna powder with 2 cups of lemon juice.
- Allow it to sit for 4-6 hours.
- Apply it to your hair and comb through.
- Wrap your hair in plastic wrap and leave it on for 2-3 hours before rinsing.