1. ChlorhexidineThis chemical is believed to be the cause of increased blood pressure associated with mouthwash use. According to a study published in the journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine, using mouthwash just twice a day can increase blood pressure and lead to serious heart conditions. Chlorhexidine kills the good bacteria in the body that is responsible for relaxing the blood vessels.
2. AlcoholAlcohol dries out the mucous membranes in the mouth and reduces saliva, causing bad breath. It changes the pH of the mouth and throat, and the Dental Journal of Australia found sufficient evidence that alcohol increases the risk of developing oral, head and neck cancers.
3. Hexetidine (oraldene)Ingesting too much of this chemical can cause clotting in parts of the brain that control sensory and neural functions, and it may cause failure in these parts of the brain over time. Oraldene can also cause unstable heartbeat and allergic reactions, and it's considered to be carcinogenic.
4. Methyl SalicylateJust one tablespoon of this substance is equivalent to over 23 300mg aspirin pills. An overdose can lead to kidney failure, loss of vision, low blood pressure, difficulty breathing, convulsions, vomiting and much more.
5. Benzalkonium ChlorideThis is an allergen that can cause irritations in the skin and mucous membranes, leading to allergic reactions, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue.
6. Cetylpyridinium ChlorideThis chemical can actually cause stains to develop on the teeth. It contains high amounts of alcohol and can lead to sensitivity, pain and irritation to the tongue.
7. MethylparabenMethylparaben has been found within breast cancer tissues. It's widely used in mouthwash and women's cosmetics such as skin creams and deodorants. Studies suggest that it may increase the risk of breast cancer or accelerate the growth of tumors.
Natural Mouthwash RecipeHere's the good news: There are plenty of ways to keep your breath smelling minty fresh without the fear of ingesting harmful chemicals and dangerous ingredients. Here's a safe, natural and organic mouthwash recipe you can make at home! Ingredients:
- Spearmint or Peppermint Essential Oil
- Clove Essential Oil
- Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil
- Baking Soda
- Celtic Salt
- Stevia Leaf Powder
- Put 1 teaspoon of Celtic salt, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon green Stevia leaf powder into a bottle.
- Pour water into the bottle, filling it almost to the top.
- Add 5 drops of spearmint essential oil, 3 drops of clove essential oil, and 3 drops of cinnamon essential oil.
- Put a lid on the bottle and shake well.
- Enjoy your organic and antibacterial natural mouthwash!