Activating CV 17 through Acupressure for Stress and AnxietyThe pressure point that is believed to help combat stress and anxiety is known as CV 17. It's located four finger widths north of the base of the breastbone, almost directly in the center of the chest. CV 17 is also known as the "sea of tranquility" in Chinese Medicine, as it is believed to promote emotional balance. Here's how to locate it and begin the healing process:
- Use your fingertips to slowly rub up and down the center of your breastbone. You should be able to feel a small indentation.
- Once you've found the indentation at the base of the breastbone, around the center of the chest, you've found point CV 17.
- Sit in a position that allows the spine to remain straight and upright. You may want to use a straight-backed chair to ensure the back stays straight throughout the process.
- Place your palms together with your fingers pointing upward, similar to a prayer position.
- Once you're in a sitting position with your spine straight and you have your hands in a prayer position, use the knuckles on the back of your thumb to gently press into the center of the CV 17 point.
- Close your eyes and focus on deep and relaxed breathing, in contrast to shallow breaths that stress and anxiety may bring about.
- Keep your back straight and upright. This will allow you to breathe fully and deeply.
- Keep your head upright but relaxed, as if you are staring slightly downward. As you exhale, it is normal for the head to move at a downward angle as the lungs are expelling air.
- Continue this meditation for at least 2-3 minutes. This will allow both the mind and the heart rate to settle into a relaxed state.