Helichrysum Essential Oil Health Benefits
1. Skin Antibiotic and Anti-FungalA review conducted by the Health Sciences Research Center at the University of Beira in Portugal found some noteworthy facts about helichrysum. They discovered that the flavonoids and terpene compounds in helichrysum oil were effective against bacteria and fungus that cause rashes, infections and delayed wound healing. These findings support the notion that helichrysum essential oil can help heal irritated skin, including blemishes, rashes and razor burn. (1)
2. Sunburn ReliefHelichrysum essential oil can help relieve sunburn pain and hydrate the skin. It can also help block UV light damage and reduce signs of aging on the skin. Mix a small amount of helichrysum oil with coconut oil and apply the mixture directly to the skin to relieve pain and support healing. Additionally, you may want to mix in a few drops of frankincense essential oilto this concoction. It will help reduce scarring.
4. Candida CureCandida overgrowth can be difficult to get rid of and difficult for a doctor to diagnose. If you know or suspect you have an issue with candida overgrowth, however, helichrysum may be able to help. Helichrysum essential oil contains compounds that have anti-fungal effects against candida growth. The oil also helps soothe the digestive tract, reduce inflammation in the gut and boost immunity to speed healing. (3)
5. Heart Health Anti-inflammatoryHelichrysum essential oil has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that improve the condition of blood vessels. The oil fights inflammation and blood pressure levels to aid in heart health. (4) It also can help control hemorrhaging and can help clear out blood clots in the brain.
6. Natural DiureticThe diuretic properties of helichrysum essential oil help stimulate digestion to push toxins out of the body. In this sense, helichrysum oil can be used to help relieve stomachaches and reduce bloating by drawing excess water out of the body.
7. Liver StimulantHelichyrusm oil has the ability to detox the liver and support the detox process. It has been used for centuries, in fact, to treat liver disease. Additionally it has been used to remove toxins from the body, such as heavy metals, bacteria and air pollution. It can also and has been used to treat kidney stones as well.
8. Protects Against CancerAdditionally, this oil may aid in the fight against cancer. The flavonoid antioxidant compounds in helichrysum oil inhibit oxidative stress to protect against cancer growth. Studies found that helichrysum extract has the ability to protect against radiation-induced DNA damage, cell mutation and death, and cancerous tumor growth. (5)
9. AntiviralAlso on the list of helichrysum benefits is the ability fight viruses and heal issues in the stomach. The anti-inflammatory properties of helichrysum oil help boost immunity and heal the gut. The flavonoids in the oil, meanwhile, work to inhibit harmful bacteria, fungi and viruses that grow in the gut.
10. Pain RelieverHelichrysum oil has the ability to decrease muscle pain by reducing swelling and inflammation. The oil naturally improves circulation and supports the healing of nerves, joints and muscle tissue to heal painful symptoms of arthritis and fibromyalgia, along with exercise-related injuries. (6) For external relief of pain, mix several drops of helichrysum with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil. Massage into the affected area one or two times daily.
Other Uses of Helichrysum:
- Treats cracked and dried skin
- Treats cough
- Acts as an expectorant
- Maintains health of cells
- Treats varicose veins
- Treats anemia
- Neutralizes effects of caffeine and nicotine
- Helps cure neuralgia
How to Use Helichrysum:
- Diffuse it in your home
- Pour it into an essential oils necklace to carry the scent with you all day long.
- Apply it directly to your skin (2 to 4 drops).
- Inhale directly from the bottle.
- Add a few or several drops to your bath.
- Take it internally by adding a few drops to your water. However, do this ONLY if it is 100% pure and organic and therapeutic grade. Consult your doctor first, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, or have any medical conditions.
- Mix with shea butter, coconut oil, and frankincense essential oil to use on sunburns
- Mix 20 drops with honey, apple cider vinegar and coconut oil for a great clear-skin face wash.