Health Benefits of Udon Noodles
1. Aid in Weight Loss and Disease PreventionHealth benefits of udon noodles include the ability to aid in weight loss. The noodles provide the body with a healthy dose of fiber and complex carbohydrates. Replacing refined carbs like sugary cereals with complex carbs like udon noodles can promote weight loss. Health benefits of udon noodles also include the ability to aid in disease prevention. Fiber and complex carbohydrates can help prevent heart problems and type 2 diabetes. Complex carbs are the healthier and safer choice for a diabetic diet. (1)
2. Easy to DigestHealth benefits of udon noodles include the ability to be easily digested. They're light but filling, thank to the fiber they contain. Research has shown that the process of kneading, which udon noodles undergo, makes the noodles "more available to the digestive enzymes in the body." Health benefits of udon noodles include the ability to prevent constipation and other digestive issues by easing digestion.
3. May Prevent Colon CancerHealth benefits of udon noodles may include the ability to prevent colon cancer, according to recent research. High-fiber foods are linked to improved digestive health, which can help prevent digestive issues and even colon cancer. Thanks to their fiber content, heath benefits of udon noodles include the ability to be a cancer-fighting food.
4. Help Manage StressHealth benefits of udon noodles include the ability to help the body better manage stress. Sleep and diet both play an important role in stress management. Complex carbohydrates like udon noodles can help reduce stress by comforting and calming the body when needed. (2)
5. Provide the Body With B VitaminsHealth benefits of udon noodles include the ability to provide the body with plenty of B vitamins. Udon noodles contain thiamine (Vitamin B1), riboflavin (Vitamin B2), niacin (Vitamin B3) and folate (Vitamin B9.) B vitamins play an important role in converting carbohydrates into fuel for the body, which provides you with a natural boost of energy. Research has shown that niacin is able to fight inflammation and improve circulation in the body. It's also a vital part of hormone production and balance. (3)
Udon vs. Soba vs. Rice vs. Regular Noodles
- Udon Noodles: Made from wheat flour and water, gluten-free when made from brown rice, chewy and soft texture, rich in protein, fiber and other nutrients
- Soba Noodles: Made from buckwheat flour, gluten-free, strong and nutty flavor, provide more protein per serving than other noodles and pasta
- Rice Noodles: Made from rice flour and water, gluten-free, neutral flavor, flat and soft when cooked, high in protein
- Regular Noodles: Made from durum wheat flour mixed with water and/or eggs, contains gluten, neutral flavor, usually enriched with iron and B vitamins