- Sore throat
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Body aches
Bronchitis Natural Remedies
1. Eat An Anti-inflammatory DietAnti-inflammatory foods can help strengthen the immune system and reduce swelling. Add fresh fruits and vegetables to you diet, along with healthy fats and probiotics. Avoid foods that cause inflammation such as conventional dairy products, sugar and processed foods.
2. Try Pursed-Lips BreathingPursed-lips breathing is a technique that helps to slow down breathing to keep the airways open longer so the lungs can get rid of stale, trapped air. This technique can help improve breathing naturally. (2)
How to Perform Pursed-Lips Breathing:First, relax your neck and your shoulders. Then, breath in for two seconds through your nose, keeping your mouth closed tightly. After that, exhale through pursed lips four four seconds, allowing just enough space to let the air out of your mouth. If this is too long for you, you can adjust the method to suit your needs. Simply breath out for twice as long as you breath in.
3. Stop SmokingStudies have shown that the risk of chronic bronchitis is significantly higher in smokers. If you're wondering how to heal bronchitis permanently, quitting is the most important step you can take toward health. (3) There are patches, gums and other conventional methods available to help you in the process. However, there are also natural methods available, such as using herbs like St. John's Wort.
4. Use a HumidifierBronchitis natural remedies may include a humidifier. A humidifier can help loosen mucus and open the airways for better breathing. Sleep with a humidifier on at night to help clear bronchitis symptoms. (4) Furthermore, a humidifier can help with other conditions associated with a difficulty breathing. This includes, for example, allergies, the common cold, asthma, and COPD.
5. Drink WaterIt's important to stay hydrated, especially when you're sick. You may not feel well, but it's absolutely crucial that you stay hydrated when you are ill. Doing so will help you get better faster. This applies to conditions such as bronchitis, as well. Drinking water throughout the day will help thin the mucus that is built up in the bronchial tubes. Furthermore, drinking water when you have bronchitis can help reduce coughing and make it easier to breathe.
6. Take N-AcetylcysteineN-acetylcysteine or NAC can be used as a bronchitis natural remedy. It's used for a variety of ailments, including pain medication overdose, cystic fibrosis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Additionally, it helps ease bronchitis symptoms. It does this by decreasing the severity and frequency of coughing attacks while improving overall lung function. A 2015 study found that taking 1,200 milligrams of NAC per day can be used to prevent airway obstruction in patients with chronic bronchitis. (5) It's a safe and effective method for treating bronchitis.
7. Vitamin CVitamin C gives the immune system a boost to reduce the severity and duration of colds and other illnesses. Take 1,000 milligrams of Vitamin C per day to fight off cold or bronchitis symptoms. If you're already sick, take 4,000 milligrams a day to help flush the illness out of your system. Just remember to drink plenty of water as well! Generally speaking, you should be eating foods that contain vitamin C to help keep your body functioning properly. Examples of foods rich in vitamin C include green and red bell peppers, strawberries, oranges and kiwi. Try to consume a diet rich in numerous vitamins and minerals to keep your body performing at an optimal level.
8. EchinaceaEchinacea has the powerful ability to stimulate the immune system. Studies have shown that it has the ability to fight off the common cold and reduce symptoms associated with bronchitis. It can be used to ease pain, a sore throat or a headache. (6) Echinacea comes in a capsule or pill form, but you can also drink it as a tea.
9. GinsengGinseng can be used to help improve lung function. It's anti-bacterial properties can help treat bronchitis by reducing inflammation, boosting and immune function and improving respiratory conditions. However, if you have COPD, be sure to speak to your doctor first before using ginseng to improve the function of your lungs. This is because ginseng can cause high blood pressure, and many COPD patients already experience an issue with elevated blood pressure. Naturally, if you have an issue with high blood pressure due to another condition, avoid use of ginseng or speak to your doctor before using it.
10. AstragalusAstragalus root is an adaptogen herb that boasts many health benefits. For example, it's anti-inflammatory, and can also help protect the health of your heart and speed up healing time for wounds. Astragalus root naturally helps strengthen the immune system by increasing the body's ability to fight infections. In that regard, you can use astragalus root to speed healing and fight off bronchitis symptoms. (7)
11. Essential OilsYou can use several essential oils to help speed bronchitis recovery, thanks to their healing properties. To ease your bronchitis symptoms, try:
- Oregano Oil for Bronchitis - Oregano oil is a natural antibacterial that supports bronchial health. (8) It has the power to treat viral conditions and reduce inflammation. Take 1-2 drops with equal parts of coconut oil internally for no longer than 2 weeks at a time.
- Peppermint Oil for Bronchitis - Peppermint oil has soothing and cooling abilities. It's also a natural antimicrobial. Inhale peppermint oil to help relieve bronchitis symptoms, or apply 2-3 drops to your chest with a warm compress.
- Eucalyptus Oil for Bronchitis - Eucalyptus oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties. Pour a coup of boiling water into a bowl and mix in 10 drops of oil. Place a towel over your head, lean over the bowl and inhale deeply for 5-10 minutes to help reduce airway inflammation.