Bentonite Clay Benefits
1. Helps Heal Poison Ivy and DermatitisBentonite clay benefits include the ability to cleanse the skin externally. The clay can be combined with water and left to dry on the skin. Bentonite clay works by binding to bacteria and other toxins on the skin to help reduce blemishes, calm skin infections and help heal poison ivy. (1) You can also add it to your children's baths. This is an excellent way to help their little bodies detox when there is an illness going around at school or at home. Furthermore, kids love to play with the clay in the water! They will have fun slathering it on their faces and arms. It's just like a mud bath! You can also use bentonite clay as a cleansing facial mask. Smear it on your face like you would any other mask, wait for it to try, then rinse. Repeat this process twice a week.
2. Supports Healthy DigestionBentonite clay supports healthy digestion by removing toxins from the body that can cause digestive distress. It binds to toxins in the body and works to neutralize harmful bacteria in the gut. Bentonite clay can help relieve constipation and rid the body of toxins that contribute to leaky gut. Be sure to drink plenty of additional water if you plan on drinking bentonite clay. Try adding it to a jar of water that has a lid, so you can shake it properly and help it thoroughly dissolve.
3. May Promote Weight LossBentonite clay benefits may include the ability to promote weight loss. Studies have shown that bentonite clay, along with other alkaline foods, can help improve cholesterol levels. Research has also linked bentonite clay supplements with weight loss. (2)
4. Helps With Thyroid FunctionBentonite clay benefits include the ability to fight hyperthyroidism. The clay helps absorb certain thyroid hormones to alleviate problems associated with an overactive thyroid.
5. Stops Growth of Two Cancer Cell LinesAccording to a 2016 study, bentonite clay benefits include the ability to stop the growth of colorectal cancer cell lines. Researchers found that the clay placed a large amount of oxidative stress on the cancer cells, without damaging the DNA. (3)
6. Boosts ImmunityBentonite clay benefits include the ability to boost the immune system. It helps destroy harmful bacteria while protecting the gut wall. Bentonite clay helps decrease the amount of pesticides, toxins, bacteria and chemicals that could enter the blood from food and environmental toxins.
7. May Support Respiratory HealthResearch has shown that bentonite clay has powerful protective properties against adenoviruses. Adenoviruses are responsible for the common cold, bronchitis, pneumonia, fever, pink eye and other common illnesses. (4)
8. Improves the Health of Teeth and GumsBentonite clay benefits include improved oral health. The clay binds to toxins in the mouth, around the teeth and on the tongue and gums. It helps remove the toxins from the body before they have the chance to make you sick. Try mixing bentonite clay with essential oils to make your own powerfully cleansing toothpaste. Mix together in a lidded jar 1/3 cup of bentonite clay, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Stevia powder, 1/4 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 10 drops of your choice of essential oils. For example, you might try peppermint, lime, clove or cinnamon. You can also mix the clay with water and use it as a cleansing rinse for your mouth.
9. Removes Fluoride From Drinking WaterUnfortunately, many cities and towns add fluoride to their drinking water. However, bentonite clay benefits include the ability to remove fluoride from drinking water, working not unlike a filter. When combined with magnesium in particular, this ability intensifies. As such, there is a good chance bentonite clay, in conjunction with magnesium, may be used in the future as a viable water treatment method. Fluoride has been linked to serious health problems, including diabetes, thyroid dysfunction and even brain damage. (5)
10. Works as a Baby Powder AlternativeBentonite clay benefits the skin by soothing areas that are red and irritated. It can be used as a gentle alternative to baby powder to help soothe and cleanse irritated skin. Many parents swear by bentonite clay, and prefer it over traditional baby powder or similar methods.
How To Use Bentonite Clay
- Internally: Drink 1/2-1 teaspoon once a day. Mix the clay with water in a jar with a lid. Shake the clay so it dissolves, then drink.
- Externally: Add 1/4 cup of clay to your bath and massage the clay into your skin. You can also gargle with bentonite clay then spit and rinse. For scrapes or bug bites, apply bentonite clay directly to the affected area then cover it. Let it sit for about two hours, then rinse.