What is Broccoli Seed Oil?So what is broccoli seed oil exactly? It's not made from crushing up broccoli, but the cruciferous vegetable does play an important role in the process. Broccoli seed oil is made by cold-pressing the seeds of broccoli sprouts, which contains 80-100 times more of the powerful antioxidant sulforaphane than broccoli. Broccoli seed oil is packed with vitamins and healthy fatty acids, including omega-3 fatty acids, that help promote hair and skin health. (1)
Benefits of Broccoli Seed Oil
1. Moisturizes Skin and HairWhat is broccoli seed oil good for? For starters, it's an excellent moisturizer. Benefits of broccoli seed oil include the ability to add a healthy dose of moisture to your skin and hair. Similar to coconut oil and argan oil, broccoli seed oil can help improve dryness. Remember, a little goes a long way!
2. Works as an Alternative to SiliconeBenefits of broccoli seed oil include the ability to replace silicone as a much healthier ingredient. Many hair products and makeup products contain silicone or silicone-based ingredients. Silicone helps the hair look smoother and shinier, but it can also form an artificial plastic-like barrier on the skin, causing dryness and irritation. The benefits of broccoli seed oil are similar to those of silicone, without the dangerous side effects. The fatty acids in broccoli seed oil help moisturize the skin and hair to promote a smooth, shiny look with the use of an all-natural product.
3. Boosts Hair HealthBenefits of broccoli seed oil include the ability to naturally boost hair health. Adding the oil to your hair routine can help prevent dryness and encourage hair growth. Benefits of broccoli seed oil include the ability to prevent flyaways, frizz and split ends.
4. Prevents UV DamageBroccoli sprouts are rich in sulforaphane, an organic sulfur compound that can help protect the skin from damage caused by UV radiation. Benefits of broccoli seed oil include the ability to help protect the skin from sunburns and possibly even skin cancer. (2)
5. Works as an Alternative to RetinolThanks to the Vitamin A it contains, benefits of broccoli seed oil include the ability to serve as a natural alternative to retinol, a common ingredient in anti-aging products. Retinol products use a form of Vitamin A to help the skin renew itself. Retinol products can cause unwanted side effects, such as redness, dryness, swelling and irritation. Benefits of broccoli seed oil include the ability to improve skin health without harmful side effects.
6. Provides Anti-Aging AffectsBenefits of broccoli seed oil include the ability to help slow aging. The oil contains Vitamin A, along with linoleic acid, which helps form a protective layer on the skin that retains moisture. Broccoli seed oil can help moisturize dry skin and promote a more youthful-looking appearance. (3)
How To Use Broccoli Seed OilNow that we've answered the question, "What is broccoli seed oil?" and we've gone over the many benefits, you're probably wondering how to use it. Here's how to use broccoli seed oil for:
- Frizz and flyaways: Add a few drops of broccoli seed oil to your hands, then rub your hands together. Distribute the oil evenly throughout your hair or on problem areas.
- Spit ends: Place a few drops of broccoli seed oil on your fingertips, then run the oil through the ends of your hair as needed.
- Dry scalp: Massage broccoli seed oil into your scalp for an at-home dry scalp treatment. Leave the oil on for 20-30 minutes then wash and condition as usual.
- Dry hair: Add a few drops of broccoli seed oil to your favorite natural conditioner for a moisturizing boost.
- Dry skin: Apply 1-2 drops of broccoli see oil to any dry areas on your body. Massage lightly until the oil is absorbed.
- Wrinkles and dryness: Add several drops of broccoli seed oil to your palms, then rub your palms together. Pat and press the oil across your face and neck to help fight wrinkles and moisturize your skin.
- Razor bumps and burns: Lightly massage 1-2 drops of broccoli seed oil to the affected area to promote healing.