- Antibiotic use
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- An impaired immune system
- Oral contraceptives or hormone therapy
Here's how to get rid of yeast infections:
1. Keep Your Skin Clean and DryThe best way to stop yeast from multiplying to harmful levels is to keep your skin clean and dry. You know that expression: "a pound of prevention is worth an ounce of cure." That means practicing good hygiene! To treat a vaginal yeast infection, it's important to shower every day and cleanse the area. After you shower, make sure you dry off completely. Fungi thrive in moist environments. (2)
2. Wear Clean ClothesWear clean, breathable clothing to help stop moisture from developing in the area. Underwear that is too tight or made of a thick fabric can stop air from reaching the genitals, which can worsen a vaginal yeast infection. Yeast infection remedies include looser-fitting clothes and breathable fabrics.
3. Boost Your Immune System With ProbioticsA weakened immune system means a greater chance of illness or infection, including a yeast infection. Make sure you eat a healthy and well-balanced diet to promote a strong immune system. But don't forget to include probiotics in your diet, as they contain beneficial bacteria that help fight infections, including vaginal yeast infections. Probiotic-rich foods such as kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, miso, and natto can work as yeast infection remedies. (3)
4. Make Sure It's Not AllergiesSometimes allergies can play a role in yeast infections. Make sure you're not allergic to condoms, latex or hygiene products such as bath oils or tampons. Chemicals in these products may irritate the genital area and negatively impact the balance of bacteria in the vagina, leading to a vaginal yeast infection. If you suspect these products might be an issue, switch to more natural products instead. (4)
5. Consider Other Medical or Hormonal ProblemsCertain medical conditions may make you more susceptible to developing a yeast infection, such as a hormonal imbalance. When the chemical and bacterial balances in the body are off, you are more likely to develop an infection. Diabetes can also play a role in a vaginal yeast infection. A diet high in sugar can fuel the growth of candida yeast. (5)
6. Use Supplements and Essential OilsThere are several yeast infection home remedies you can use to help stop yeast in its tracks. Try:
- Apple cider vinegar to balance pH levels in the body.
- Elderberry and milk thistle to help cleanse your liver from prescription medications and hormones from birth control.
- Antioxidants such as Vitamin C to help boost the immune system.
- Essential oils such as tea tree, lavender, and myrrh to help kill yeast, parasites, and fungi. Mix several drops of essential oil with coconut oil and use it topically just outside of the vaginal area as a yeast infection home remedy. (6)