Here are ten important signs that your body is asking for help:
1. Dry SkinYour skin is your largest organ. If you aren't consuming enough vitamins, it will dry out, crack and itch. Vitamin E is especially important in keeping your skin healthy and moisturized. Add almonds, sweet potato, sunflower seeds, butternut squash, olive oil, and avocado to your diet to help moisturize and repair damaged skin.
2. PsoriasisPsoriasis on the arms or elbows may be a sign of a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Low levels of Vitamin A and Vitamin C are often linked to psoriasis. Incorporate more foods into your diet that are rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C, including carrots, sweet potato, kale, orange, red peppers, and grapefruit.
3. Brittle Hair And NailsBrittle hair or nails may be a sign of a nutrient deficiency. Low calcium or Vitamin B levels can cause hair and nails to dry out and break. Try adding foods that contain calcium and Vitamin B to your diet, such as kale, collard greens, edamame, figs, oranges, almonds, and avocados.
4. Bleeding From The Mouth Or GumsBleeding from the mouth or gums can be caused by improper oral care or a Vitamin C deficiency. Increase the Vitamin C in your diet by consuming citrus fruits such as oranges and grapefruit, as well as red peppers and kale.
5. Cramping And InsomniaMagnesium plays an important role in brain, heart, and muscle health. A magnesium deficiency can often cause cramping and insomnia. To combat a deficiency, eat more magnesium-rich foods such as green leafy vegetables, almonds, nuts, apricots, plums, and bananas.
6. CravingsCertain cravings serve as a sign that your body is low in the vitamins in minerals it needs to function properly.
- If you crave salty foods: Your body is likely low in chloride, which is needed to maintain healthy digestion and keep your electrolytes in check. Snack on seaweed, celery or other vegetables to add some chloride to your diet.
- If you crave sugary foods: You may be experiencing fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Your body needs chromium, carbon phosphorus, sulfur and tryptophan. Choose a piece of fruit or a high-fiber food like sweet potatoes.
- If you crave raw foods: Craving raw foods such as sushi or cheese may indicate an imbalance in your gastrointestinal or digestive system. Add high-fiber foods to your diet such as green leafy vegetables and fruits.
- If you crave sour foods: Craving sour foods may be a sign of a hormonal imbalance or liver congestion. Try adding lemon to your water on a regular basis. If the cravings are still there, it might be time for detox cleanse.