Health Benefits Of Thyme Essential Oil
1. Thyme Oil Can Be Used For Pain ReliefNowadays, people complain a lot about little aches and pains. Thyme essential oil to the rescue! In one study, researchers from Babol University of Medical Sciences examined the pain-relieving effects of thyme oil. The researchers tested 84 women who had reported difficult menstruation, between the ages of 18 and 24 years old. All of the women were suffering from primary dysmenorrhea, a painful cramping that may or may not be accompanied by other symptoms such as back pain, nausea, headaches, and dizziness. The study showed that not only is thyme oil effective at reducing pain, but it also reduces difficult menstrual pain better than ibuprofen. (1)
2. Thyme Oil Has Antiseptic And Antibacterial PropertiesThyme essential oil is a natural antiseptic, thanks to its compounds Caryophyllene and Camphene. These compounds kill infections on the skin and inside the body to protect wounds and sores from infections. Likewise, thyme is also an antibacterial. For example, it can be used to treat intestinal infections and bacterial infections. Specifically, a study conducted at the Medical University of Lodz in Poland found that thyme oil exhibited extremely strong activity against 120 different strains of bacteria (2).
3. Thyme Oil Can Treat Respiratory ConditionsThyme essential oil has a natural ability to give the immune system a healthy boost. It drains congestion and cures infections in the throat, which can come in handy when you're suffering from the common cold. It's an all-natural alternative to store-bought cold medicines, without any of the potentially harmful side effects.
4. Thyme Oil Is A Natural Remedy For High Blood PressureSo you know hypertension, or high blood pressure, creates a cascade of problems. Fortunately, thyme essential oil can activate circulation in the body. Blocked circulation can lead to many health problems, including arthritis and stroke. If you suffer from high blood pressure, thyme oil can be used as a natural remedy. It relaxes the arteries and veins to reduce stress on the heart and lower blood pressure. (3)
5. Thyme Oil Is An Anti-RheumaticWhat is rheumatism, you ask? Well, arthritis and gout are the two main causes of rheumatism. In addition to joint pain, those who suffer from arthritis experience improper or obstructed blood circulation, while gout sufferers experience an increased concentration of toxins in the blood stream. Thyme essential oil can work wonders for both of these problems. In fact, thyme is a natural diuretic. It increases urination to aid in the process of removing toxins from the body. It's also a stimulant, which activates circulation.
How To Use Thyme Essential Oil
- Fight fatigue: add 2 drops of thyme oil to warm bath water.
- Relieve painful menstrual cramps: rub 2 drops of thyme oil with equal parts carrier oil onto your abdomen.
- Open blocked nasal passages, inhale 2 drops of thyme oil or add it to hot water for steam inhalation.
- Kill infections and rashes, rub 2 drops of thyme oil to the affected area.
- Increase circulation, inhale or diffuse 2-3 drops of thyme oil each day.