Here are four effective ways to prevent bunions:
1. Correct Footwear And DietIf you wear the wrong shoes, you have a better chance of getting a bunion, especially if you are putting excess weight on your feet for long periods of time each day. Make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes that fit properly. Diet can also play a role in preventing bunions. Decreasing the amount of inflammatory foods in your diet can help reduce swelling and inflammation in your feet. Reduce fatty and spicy foods, as well as sugar.
2. MassageA massage can help relax and strengthen your foot muscles to prevent bunions and form your feet into a healthy shape. To massage your feet at home:
- Roll a tennis ball with your feet.
- Massage your feet with your thumbs upward and back, pressing gently.
- Hold one toe at a time and pull it slightly upward.
3. ExerciseThere are several simple yet effective exercises you can do to keep your feet healthy and strong. It takes less than 10 minutes a day to perform the following exercises:
- Place your foot firmly on the floor and try to raise each toe, one at a time.
- Put a touch rubber band on your toes then try to force them apart.
- Rotate your feet in both directions.
- Place some small objects on the floor and try to pick them up with your toes.