Within a few days
- You'll have clearer skin. Alcohol decreases the body's production of the antidieretic hormone, which helps the body reabsorb water. After a few days without alcohol, your skin will look and feel more hydrated and less swollen, and eczema or rosacea should improve.
- You'll find yourself sleeping better. Alcohol makes you drowsy, but it also disrupts the quality of your sleep. Sleeping sans alcohol will allow you to get a better night's sleep, which will lead to increased energy and concentration levels.
- Your liver will start to love you again, as it will no longer have to work double time to neutralize alcohol toxins.
Within a week or two:
- You'll feel better! Alcohol is by nature a depressant. Without it, you'll notice increased mental clarity and find yourself in better moods. Many people use alcohol to relax, but lots of alcohol over time actually makes the heart work much harder.
- You'll have more money! Drinking can be a very expensive habit. Adding up what you spend on drinks for your home and out on the town can be a motivator in itself to lose the booze.
Within a month:
- You'll lose weight. Alcohol has a sneaky way of increasing our calorie and sugar intake. One margarita may contain 300 calories or more, and most alcohol is loaded with sugar, which often stores as belly fat. You may find yourself fighting sugar cravings, but you'll most likely find your jeans loosening up a little.
- You'll be more productive. Your month's worth of a good night sleep will leave your brain and body feeling well rested, producing heightened productivity and a brighter mood.
- Your senses will be heightened. Alcohol can dull your senses. You might think you had great sex while you were drunk, but being sober will ensure that your sexual organs are extra sensitive.
- You'll become more fertile. For women who are trying to become pregnant, you have a better chance of conceiving if you give your body a break from alcohol.