What Is The Mediterranean Diet?The Mediterranean diet consists of nine basic parts: (3)
- High consumption of monounsaturated fats instead of saturated fats, such as olive oil, sesame oil, sunflower oil, and avocados.
- Regular and moderate consumption of alcohol in the form of red wine during meals.
- High consumption of legumes, nuts, and seeds
- High consumption of non-refined cereals and breads, including brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta.
- Low consumption of dairy products, mainly in the form of cheese and yogurt.
- Low consumption of meat and poultry.
- High consumption of vegetables.
- High consumption of fruit.
- Moderate to high consumption of fish containing omega-3 fatty acids.