What are Chiropractic Adjustments?First, let's start with the following question: what are chiropractic adjustments? It may help to first address the profession of of a chiropractor. Chiropractors address care holistically, and generally used to avoid prescribing medicine. They focus on the alignment of the spine, which can affect other areas of the body. In fact, it may interest those asking the question what are chiropractic adjustments that the first chiropractic patient underwent an adjustment in order to regain his hearing. Occasionally, treatments such as acupuncture may be used in conjunction with chiropractic care.
Here are 10 benefits of chiropractic adjustments you should consider:
1. SciaticaSciatica can be an extremely painful affliction. It involves pressure on the sciatic nerve, which can cause radiating pain in the legs and lower back. However, a chiropractic adjustment can help relieve this pain. Indeed, the question what are chiropractic adjustments certainly pertains to those suffering from sciatica. In fact, chiropractic treatment is one of the best solutions for sciatica, as shown by a study conducted by The European Spine Journal. Subjects in the study saw a 72 percent success rate in treating sciatica-related symptoms. Other treatments, meanwhile, such as physical therapy and injections, saw 20 and 50 percent success rates, respectively. Another study published in the Spine Journal also examined patients with sciatic nerve pain. Researchers found that chiropractic manipulations reduced subjects’ pain. (1)
2. Low Back Pain and Neck PainBenefits of chiropractic adjustments extend to treating lower back pain and neck pain, as well. One study involved patients who reported neck pain. Patients stated that they were either “very satisfied”, or “satisfied” with chiropractic care they received. Furthermore, 98 percent of participants reported they “definitely would” or were “very likely” to choose chiropractic care again, should they experience a similar problem. (2)
3. Headaches (Tension and Migraine)With so many Americans suffering from chronic tension headaches and migraines, relief is absolutely in demand. Pills and other medications can only go so far, and for many people, they simply do not work. However, the good news is that benefits of chiropractic adjustments also include headaches. In particular, these benefits pertain to tension headaches and migraines. A group trial reported that 22 percent of people who had chiropractic treatment saw the number of painful attacks drop by 90 percent. Furthermore, more than 230 peer-reviewed articles address the benefits of chiropractic adjustments regarding headaches and migraines. (3)
4. Colic, Acid Reflux and Ear Infections in ChildrenWhile these are lesser-known, benefits of chiropractic adjustments also include treating colic, acid reflux and ear infections in children. A study from 2011 published by the journal Explore examined the benefits of chiropractic adjustments. They found that treatments consisting of these adjustments greatly reduced colic symptoms. (4) Furthermore, several trials show how children suffering from ear infections as well as acid reflux experience a dramatic turnaround after a few visits with a chiropractor. (5) Additionally, chiropractic care has been used to treat respiratory conditions, such as asthma.
5. Neurological ConditionsBenefits of chiropractic adjustments care extend to neurological issues, as well. Research is being conducted involving cerebellar invagination, which is what occurs when the cerebellum drops down below the skull line. Researchers are finding that chiropractic adjustment helps reverse this. Furthermore, benefits of chiropractic adjustments include brain treating plaguing, which is common in multiple sclerosis patients. Another study examined benefits of chiropractic adjustments regarding epilepsy and seizures. Researchers found that when 15 pediatric patients were treated with upper cervical care, all reported positive outcomes as a result of chiropractic care. (6)
6. Blood PressureChiropractic care can also help those suffering from high blood pressure. The human Journal of Hypertension published a study wherein researchers discovered one upper cervical chiropractic adjustment had the same effect as two blood pressure-lowering drugs. Furthermore, these results lasted longer than six months.
7. Surgery PreventionChiropractic care is, according to natural health care providers, an excellent path to prevent back surgery. In fact, the Journal of the American Medical Association asserts that those who suffer from back pain should first try chiropractic care before resorting to surgery. (7) A chiropractic adjustment is typically more affordable than surgery. It also doesn't come with the same exhaustive healing time as does surgery, and typically speaking, chiropractic adjustments offer less risk.
8. Frozen ShoulderIf you suffer from a condition called frozen shoulder, chiropractic care might be your answer. A clinical trial saw that out of 50 patients suffering from the condition, 16 saw a complete disappearance of symptoms, 25 showed 75 to 90 percent improvement, eight showed 50 to 75 percent improvement, and one showed no to 50 percent improvement. (8)
9. ScoliosisWhen paired with muscular rehabilitation techniques, chiropractic care can also help prevent the progression of scoliosis. Many studies, for example, have found that participants see a 10 to 30 percent decrease in scoliosis curvatures after undergoing collaborative treatment.
10. Athletic PerformanceIt's no secret that the lifestyle of an athlete can come with its fair share of aches and pains. Because of this universal truth, several pro athletes have opted for chiropractic treatment. In fact, more than 50 percent of NFL teams have a chiropractor on staff.
For example, chiropractic adjustments are helpful because they:
- Reduce inflammatory cytokines
- Boost the immune system
- Enhance pulmonary function
- Decrease mental and oxidative stress
- Relieve muscle tension
- Reduce stress
- Can naturally increase energy levels