Try these eight easy yoga poses to help flush stress hormones from your body.
1. Child's Pose
- Kneel on a yoga mat with your legs together, sitting back on your heels.
- Hinge forward until your chest rests on your thighs and your forehead is on the floor.
- Curl your shoulders forward and let your hands rest with your palms up, next to your feet.
- Hold for five breaths.
2. Bridge Pose
- Lie on your back, bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor, hip width apart.
- Slide your arms alongside your body with your palms facing down.
- Press your feet into the floor; inhale; lift hips while rolling your spine off of the floor.
- Press your arms and shoulders down to lift your chest and engage your legs to lift the hips higher.
- Hold for 4-8 breaths, then release on an exhale, slowly rolling your spine back to the floor.
3. Standing Forward Bend
- From a standing position, exhale forward and bend your knees enough to bring your palms flat to the floor with your head pressed against your legs.
- Feel your spine stretch in opposite directions; your head is pulled down and in.
- Press your hips up and straighten the legs for a deeper stretch.
- Hold for 4-8 breaths, then bend the knees, inhale and lift back into standing position.
4. Legs-Up-The-Wall Pose
- Sit with your hips against the wall and roll onto your back, taking your legs up the wall.
- Your bottom should be pressed as close to the wall as possible.
- Hold for 5 minutes.
5. Cat Pose
- Begin on all fours, exhale and draw your belly to your spine.
- Round your back toward the ceiling.
- Lower the crown of your head toward the floor, don't force your chin to your chest.
6. Eagle Pose
- Begin standing; bend your knees and balance on your right foot.
- Cross your left thigh over the right thigh, then hook the top of your left foot behind your right calf.
- Balance for one breath, then extend your arms straight in front of your body and drop your left arm under your right arm.
- Bend your elbows and wrap your arms and hands, pressing your palms together.
- Square your hips and chest to the wall and draw your belly in and up.
- Hold for up to 1 minute, then gently unwind your arms and legs and repeat on the opposite side.
7. Head-to-Knee Forward Bend
- Begin seated with your legs extended, then bend your left leg, bringing the sole of your foot to the upper inside of your right thigh.
- Place both hands on either side of the right leg and inhale, turning toward the extended leg.
- Exhale and fold forward; hold for 5 breaths then repeat on the opposite side.
8. Extended Triangle Pose
- Start in a standing position. Exhale, spread your legs 4 feet from each other and lift and hold your arms out at your sides with palms facing down.
- Turn your right foot out at a 90-degree angle; turn your left foot in toward the right.
- Tighten your thigh muscles and turn your right thigh outward, then bend the body from the hips toward the right leg.
- Twist your body to the left, keeping both sides long, then push your left hip slightly forward.
- Keep your right hand on your ankles, while stretching your left arm up toward the sky.
- Keep your head straight or turned slightly to the left; hold this position for 30 seconds.