Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body. In people suffering from lupus, something is wrong with the immune system. It is unable to tell the difference between foreign invaders and the body's healthy tissues. The immune system creates auto-antibodies that end up causing inflammation and pain. People who suffer from lupus experience flares and remissions. There are periods of time when their symptoms worsen and they feel extremely ill. There are other times when their symptoms improve and they feel better. Many scientists believe that lupus develops in response to different factors, including hormones, genetics and the environment. Getting the proper nutrients is important for preventing flare-up's. If you suffer from lupus, you need plenty of antioxidants in your diet. Whole foods, including probiotics and fiber, can lower your inflammation levels and help increase good bacteria in the gut.
These 12 foods help fight lupus symptoms:
1. Wild SalmonMany types of wild seafood contain omega-3 fats that help reduce inflammation in the body. Wild salmon can help fight lupus symptoms by keeping inflammation at bay. Make sure to only consume organic wild caught salmon from a clean ocean area.
2. Bone BrothBone broth contains many beneficial nutrients. It can help reduce autoimmune and inflammatory symptoms that are associated with lupus. Consuming bone broth on a daily basis can help fight joint pain.
3. Sunflower SeedsAdd sunflower seeds to your salads, or munch on a handful as a snack. They contain calcium, Vitamin E and copper - nutrients that support white blood cell health.
4. TurmericTurmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Getting your daily dose can help reduce lupus symptoms related to inflammation, including joint pain.
5. White TeaWhite tea contains antioxidants and antibacterial properties. It also contains nutrients and antimicrobial qualities that protect the body from disease.
6. Sweet PotatoesSweet potatoes contain calcium, potassium, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Incorporating them into your diet can help you increase your antioxidant intake and allow you to consume more anti-inflammatory nutrients.
7. PomegranatePomegranate contains many antioxidants that help lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure. The nutrients in pomegranates also help ward off inflammation.
Fresh oranges are high in important vitamins and nutrients, including Vitamin C and Vitamin E. These nutrients help reduce inflammation in the body and prevent lupus flare-ups.
Avocados contain more than 20 different vitamins and minerals. The oleic acid they contain has been linked to reduced inflammation in the body.
10. BerriesBerries contain loads of antioxidants that naturally fight lupus symptoms. Add them to your diet to help keep your body healthy and ward off lupus flare-ups.
11. Leafy Greens
Leafy greens help keep your bones strong. They provide your body with antioxidants and fiber, along with essential vitamins and minerals. Raw vegetables also promote an alkaline environment in the body, which helps keep inflammation levels low.
Probiotics are the healthy bacteria in your body. Eating foods that contain probiotics can help balance gut bacteriato keep you healthy while battling lupus symptoms.
Alliance For Lupus Research
Lupus News Today
Lupus Foundation of America
The World's Healthiest Foods
Global Healing Center
The World's Healthiest Foods
Neuropathy Treatment Group