Chlorella is a blue-green algae with outstanding health benefits. This superfood is native to Taiwan and Japan, and is rich in phytonutrients. These phytonutrients include, for example, amino acids, biotin, beta-carotene, chlorophyll, and magnesium. In fact, chlorella is very similar to spirulina. Studies have shown that chlorella benefits include promoting healthy hormonal function in the body, supporting cardiovascular health, and lowering blood pressure. Furthermore, chlorella lowers cholesterol levels and aids in the body's detoxification process. Whether you prefer chlorella in supplement or juice form, the superfood has the ability to benefit the entire body. It's one of the most nutritionally-dense foods in the world.
Here are six proven ways chlorella benefits your health:
1. Chlorella Detoxes Heavy Metals From The Body
Whether you realize it or not, there's a good chance that some heavy metals are hiding in your body. We are exposed to heavy metals every day, for example, through the air we breathe, the food we eat and the water we drink. If you have mercury fillings in your teeth, you likely have these metals. Furthermore, you likely have these metals if you eat fish on a regular basis, eat food from China, or have been exposed to radiation. The good news, however, is that chlorella benefits include the ability to detox heavy metals from your body. Chlorella wrap itself around toxins in the body. This includes metals such as lead, mercury, and uranium. It keeps these metals from being reabsorbed into the body.
2. Chlorella Supports A Healthy Immune SystemAlso on the list of chlorella benefits is the ability to improve immune system function. For example, a 2012 study published in Nutrition Journal found that 8 weeks of chlorella consumption improved natural killer cell activity. Researchers from the Yonsei University in Seoul, Korea studied immune system response to chlorella supplements in healthy individuals. They found that chlorella supports a health immune system response. This is due to its ability to enhance "natural killer" cell activity toward illness and disease. Chlorella supports and improves your body's natural ability to kill off foreign invaders. (1) Virginia Commonwealth University Medical College also confirmed the immune system benefits of chlorella regarding cancer patients. Researchers from the institution conducted a two-year study of glioma-positive patients. When these individuals consumed chlorella, they experienced less infections and flu-like ailments. Researchers discovered that the subjects' immune systems remained at normal levels while they took chlorella.
3. Chlorella Detoxes Radiation And Chemotherapy
Chlorella benefits cancer patients, as well. The most common forms of cancer treatment today and radiation and chemotherapy. Unfortunately, both of these treatments take a major toll on the body. Chlorella, however, contains high levels of chlorophyll. This is good news because chlorophyll has been shown to protect the body against ultraviolet radiation treatments while removing radioactive particles from the body. Chlorophyll also improves liver detoxification, can speed up healing time, and helps promote healthy skin.
4. Chlorella Promotes Weight LossWeight loss has never been an easy feat. This is especially true as we age. However, chlorella benefits include the ability to help in the weight loss process, in numerous ways. For example, in a study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food, researchers found that, "Chlorella intake resulted in noticeable reductions in body fat percentage, serum total cholesterol, and fasting blood glucose levels." Chlorella helps promote weight loss by regulating hormone levels to aid in a healthy metabolism and promote higher energy levels. (2) Furthermore, losing weight can leave behind toxins in your body. It's crucial to flush out these toxins as soon as possible. Not only can chlorella help you lose weight, but it can also assist your body in flushing out those post-weight loss toxins.
5. Chlorella Fights Cancer
Generally, there is a belief that all people develop cancer cells at some point in their life. With a strong immune system, however, your body can attack these cells before they have a chance to develop into cancer. Truly, when it comes to diseases like cancer, prevention is key. According to a recent medical study, chlorella benefits include the ability to help fight cancer in several different ways. First, when taken preemptively, it strengthens the immune system. Second, as mentioned above, chlorella has the ability to remove heavy metals and toxins from the body. This helps reduce the likelihood of developing cancer. Third, and also addressed above, studies have shown that in individuals who were once diagnosed with cancer, chlorella is able to enhance the action of T cells to fight new abnormal cells. (3)
6. Chlorella Lowers Blood Sugar And Cholesterol LevelsNext on the list of chlorella benefits is the ability to lower blood sugar as well as cholesterol levels. Many people nationwide suffer from high blood sugar and/or high cholesterol levels. Much of this may stem from a poor American diet, stress, or lack of proper sleep. When researchers studied the effects of chlorella regarding these conditions, however, they found that the supplement was indeed able to lower cholesterol levels and blood glucose levels. Furthermore, these results were in conjunction with improving insulin sensitivity and encouraging a healthy balance in the body. Researchers asserted that 8,000 mg of chlorella, split into two daily doses, achieved these results. (4)
Chlorella Side Effects And Precautions
Some people may experience side effects from chlorella, including swelling of the face or tongue, sensitivity to sunlight, upset stomach, acne, fatigue, headaches and vertigo. Individuals that are allergic to iodine, along with those who have been prescribed Coumadin or Warfarin, should consult a health care professional before using chlorella. Juice with Chlorella: Help Your Body Detox!
For a fantastic detox juice, try this recipe:
- 4 carrots
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tsp chlorella
First, juice the carrots, apples, and cucumber. Then stir in your teaspoon of chlorella. Enjoy reaping the health benefits this superfood has to offer!
Other ways to enjoy chlorella:
You can also try adding a teaspoon of chlorella to your organic lemon water. It's best to consume your detox juice or water first thing in the morning, as that is when the liver is most active. Additionally, you might try adding chlorella to your homemade pesto, guacamole, or salad dressing.